Audition for the Choir
The Choral Society Announces the following AUGUST AND SEPTEMBER auditions: By appointment between August 30th and September 13th.
BCCS holds auditions for new singers in August, the beginning of September and January as well as in the month of May of each season. Experienced singers who move to the area in between those times are invited to request an audition by appointment.
To arrange an audition with the Choral Society, please contact us via the Audition Form at the bottom of this page. Items marked with an asterisk (*) are required. If you are having trouble with the Audition Form, please make your request by leaving a message for the Auditions Coordinator at 215-230-3836. Qualified applicants will be contacted directly to make an audition appointment.
Expectations for prospective singers:
- sufficient fluency in music reading to be able to learn music independently and not exclusively by ear;
- at least two years of recent experience singing in a community, school, or church choir that regularly performs classical style repertoire;
- availability for weekly Tuesday night rehearsals (7:30-10:00pm) from September through June at Lenape Valley Presbyterian Church, located at 321 West Butler Avenue in New Britain, PA; a maximum of two missed rehearsals is allowed during each concert period; singers may be excused in advance from a single concert period because of work or family obligations, but are normally expected to sing all four subscription programs;
- payment of annual dues of $125 and purchase of individual music, as ordered by BCCS.
Auditions will consist of:
- vocalizing up and down your range on a simple five-note scale (vi----ah----i)
- tonal memory exercises (listening to 4-note melodies on the piano and then singing them back accurately)
- tonal sight-reading
- performing a song, aria, or hymn of your choice